The South African Federation of Hospital Engineering – known as SAFHE – is a national multi-disciplinary voluntary association for the promotion and development of healthcare building design and engineering in Southern Africa. Established in 1977, SAFHE welcomes architects, engineers, health planners, managers, nurses, doctors, quantity surveyors and project managers from both public and private sectors into a community of practice. Its objectives are to promote and develop in the healthcare field:
- All aspects of design, engineering, and technology, including construction, commissioning, and maintenance of buildings, plant, equipment, machinery and apparatus.
- The principle of integrated design by improved collaboration amongst all professions.
- The more efficient management of planning, operation, maintenance and safety.
- The advancement of education of personnel.
- The encouragement throughout the world of the unrestricted acquisition, exchanges, and spread of information, and research.
- The arranging of conferences, seminars and discussions to provide a medium of communication for interested persons on a professional and industrial basis.
- The evaluation of professional standards and etiquette, and establishment of good relationships between members and other bodies interested in or having objectives similar to those of SAFHE.
- The encouragement, investigation and publicising of innovations which may be of benefit to members, and assist in the furtherance of the objectives of SAFHE.
SAFHE is configured into regional branches, with a membership totalling over 500 with programmes geared to local interests. Talks, seminars, discussions and workshops, on a variety of subjects take place regularly. SAFHE national conferences covering particular themes are held at two yearly intervals, and have attracted delegates from all regions in South Africa, as well as from Sub-Saharan Africa and abroad. The most recent of these popular events was held at Sandton in 2015, which was attended by more than 300 delegates, including representatives of provincial departments of health and public works within South Africa. In addition SAFHE has supported training programmes for technical managers in hospitals for South Africa and East African delegates, contributed to an on-boarding programme for hospital artisans, supported “Going Green in Healthcare” seminars, participated in a number of relevant SANS committees, and contributed to the drafting of national guidelines, norms and standards for healthcare infrastructure. SAFHE welcomed the UIA-PHG to Durban Congress in 2014, and led the associated international student healthcare design competition.
SAFHE is an “A” member of the International Federation of Hospital Engineering and has participated extensively in Council meetings, including serving on its Executive Committee. SAFHE hosted the 19th IFHE congresses in Cape Town, in May 2006. As a consequence of its numerous and varied activities, SAFHE is able to provide assistance to appropriate individuals to further their experience and training in the specialised field of healthcare engineering and building design. For more information and membership applications see www.safhe.co.za. SAFHE is a proud co-sponsor of the AZA16 Nelson Mandela Children’s Hospital tour.
The SAFHE National Committee is made up of the following members (as on 10 March 2017):
|Past President||Jetendra Poorun|
|General Secretary||Tanya Rossouw|
|Northern Branch Representative||Peta de Jager|
|Southern Branch Representative||Kevin Poggenpoel|
|Kwazulu-Natal Branch Representative||Kathy Wolhuter|
|Central Branch Representative||Poon Pieterse|